BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BVE and Windows 10

4 posters

Go down

BVE and Windows 10 Empty BVE and Windows 10

Post by algy Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:45 pm

I have not used BVE since 2014 when I had Win XP and am now running WIN 10, are there any difficulties in running the old BVE system or will I have to start again with the new BVE system plus I am approaching 78 and may find it difficult to start again if the new version is complicated.

algy

Back to top Go down

BVE and Windows 10 Empty Re: BVE and Windows 10

Post by Glory! koshikii Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Hello.
You don't have to start it again with BVE 5, you can get the older versions running on Windows 10.

BVE 2 and 4 don't work on newer versions of Windows (Vista and up, namely) without a DLL hack. I have no experience with Windows 10, but I believe it should work fine.

Here's a detailed and helpful post on Railforums getting older BVEs to work on Win Vista and 7.
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=13429

BVE 5 builds up on BVE 4 as a more beginner friendly and more flexible version, but it has a backwards incompatible format for storing routes. (Called scenarios in this version.) You no longer store them in Program Files, but in a BveTs folder in your personal folder. Thankfully, mackoy has released a data converter from older versions to the new one.
http://bvets.net/en/download/index3.html

Note that you wil lose features like the built-in safety system indicators (the column with ATS, ATS RUN, etc.) ATC altogether, and markers when converting from BVE 2.

If you encounter any problems, I'll be glad to help. Very Happy

P.S.: Posted from a Windows XP machine just for older games.

Glory! koshikii

Back to top Go down

Post by leezer3 Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:08 pm

The DLL hack works OK on 10, but a lot of modern graphics card drivers simply don't support Direct3D retained mode, which is the rendering method which BVE2 / BVE4 use.

openBVE has been well tested on Windows 10, and works perfectly.
It should load any BVE2 / BVE4 route with no changes required, and works in exactly the same way once you're in-game, although the ATS, ATC etc. indicators are in a slightly different place.

BVE5 is the other option as noted above.

leezer3

http://www.bvecornwall.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevegr Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Glory! koshiki can I congratulate you how your English has improved since your first posts on here.

You might even think you really were English!

Do you know your website does not seem to exist?

I would really love to find out about what you have made for any of the versions of Bve.

I might love using them.

Stevegr

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory! koshikii Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:54 am

Stevegr wrote:Glory! koshiki can I congratulate you how your English has improved since your first posts on here.
You might even think you really were English!
Do you know your website does not seem to exist?
I would really love to find out about what you have made for any of the versions of Bve.
I might love using them.
Thank you, I guess? Embarassed I'm nowhere near Japanese or English, I'm western in fact...
http://koshikii.web.fc2.com/indexa.html ? I have no idea how I want to lay my webpage out, that's why it's in disrepair.
And regarding what I have made, published works: nothing. (because I not had learned English) But right now, Yutetsu. (fictional) (Yuriya Railway) (look here for a heavily outdated post.)

Glory! koshikii

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down