BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New application: OBJ-B3D Converter

4 posters

Go down

New application: OBJ-B3D Converter Empty New application: OBJ-B3D Converter

Post by phontanka Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:02 pm

I have the pleasure to announce the availability of a new tool, called OBJ-B3D Converter.

This application converts 3D models in .OBJ format created by popular 3D modelling software to OpenBVE's B3D format. Normals are also converted.

This app was written by a member of the Hungarian team, 3Ducker.

During the testing we have converted several objects from the SketchUp Warehouse and for most of the time conversion works perfectly. There are, however, some objects which need manual fine-tuning, so options for this are available in the application. Also, some objects will simply not convert perfectly at this point. I'd like to remind you that objects with many thousands of polygons will probably not be useable in OpenBVE, but some software, like SketchUp make it easy to work with few polygons.

The software is public domain, the source code will be available soon. The binary file is available from:

http://www.bveklub.hu/obj-b3d-konverter

In case you run into trouble, there is an English debugging document attached.

Your feedback is welcome!

Some objects converted by this app from Google's SketchUp:

New application: OBJ-B3D Converter IMG_0012367718
New application: OBJ-B3D Converter IMG_0012367729
New application: OBJ-B3D Converter IMG_0012367758
New application: OBJ-B3D Converter IMG_0012367040
New application: OBJ-B3D Converter IMG_0012366140
phontanka
phontanka

http://phontanka.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

New application: OBJ-B3D Converter Empty Re: New application: OBJ-B3D Converter

Post by Dexter Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:00 pm

Bloody hell, why does he look so angry...?
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by vpodhola Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:36 pm

Because he is a passenger of a Czech fast train from Prague to Kosice (Slovakia) in 1965 sitting in an awful and dirty waggon and train is delayed at least 90 minutes in the station Olomouc. My experience. I am afraid that only Dexter should have the same experience but he is too young.
vpodhola
vpodhola

Back to top Go down

Post by phontanka Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:23 pm

When I was at college and went to the station to travel home for the weekend I saw that the Sátoraljaújhely-Szombathely fast train was delayed 240 minutes. There was snow all over the country but still, 240 minutes sounded too much. The Záhony-Szombathely train was also 240 minutes late. Well, these were long distance trains, they both travelled around 500 kilometres.

But then, to my surprise, my trains were on time (and I had to change twice!) and I got home on time. So, to stay on topic, I was like this:

New application: OBJ-B3D Converter Happy

This object also came from the SketchUp Warehouse, it's about 1500 polygons, maybe a bit too much for OpenBVE.
phontanka
phontanka

http://phontanka.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:00 am

vpodhola wrote:I am afraid that only Dexter should have the same experience but he is too young.

I actualy have similar experience - a first class wagon from Brno to Ostrava, middle of January, no heating and windows stuck open. 60 minutes of delay in Prerov because of snow and frost... I might be young, but not unexperienced. Very Happy  Very Happy

I assume all objects, including the passengers, are fully 3D then...? But how to create an OBJ file? Sorry to sound dumb a bit here, I have never done that before. Surprised 
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by devilreborn Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:18 am

Dexter wrote:
vpodhola wrote:I am afraid that only Dexter should have the same experience but he is too young.

I actualy have similar experience - a first class wagon from Brno to Ostrava, middle of January, no heating and windows stuck open. 60 minutes of delay in Prerov because of snow and frost... I might be young, but not unexperienced. Very Happy  Very Happy

I assume all objects, including the passengers, are fully 3D then...? But how to create an OBJ file? Sorry to sound dumb a bit here, I have never done that before. Surprised 

It depends on which 3D modelling software you are using.

Exporting to OBJ is only available in the Pro version of Sketchup. If you have the Pro version then select File -> Export -> 3D Model and select "OBJ File" in the "export type" drop down menu.
devilreborn
devilreborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down