BVE WorldWide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it possible to disable boarding sway?

+2
Stevegr
jsiren
6 posters

Go down

Is it possible to disable boarding sway? Empty Is it possible to disable boarding sway?

Post by jsiren Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:28 pm

The physics modeling in OpenBVE is excellent. I really only have one complaint about it, and a minor one at that. So this is no big deal for me, just a minor annoyance. 

I tried general Google searches and several specific to this forum, but couldn't find anything relevant. If any of you have pointers, please advise.

It's somewhat ridiculous when I'm supposed to sit alone in an 80-ton locomotive and passengers boarding the four cars coupled behind it cause it to rock and roll worse than any track or pointwork enroute. Can this be disabled? I only mean the swaying that occurs whilst stationary, not that caused by motion along the track. 

For what it's worth, passengers boarding a European standard gauge passenger car don't cause a noticeable motion even inside the car, let alone in a separate locomotive. A narrow gauge lightweight tram, railcar, or D/EMU might be affected to some degree, and it probably comes from BVE's origins as a simulator of Japanese narrow gauge EMUs. I understand that the sway is also intended to indicate when boarding is finished, but then there should be an "official" way to check, depending on stock and route:
 - a door interlock light
 - the onscreen door indicator
 - a signal from the guard (conductor)
 - a platform starter signal
 - a stationmaster (or other person) giving a departure signal
 - a radio message giving a permission to depart
 - mirrors or CCTV for a visual inspection

jsiren

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to disable boarding sway? Empty Re: Is it possible to disable boarding sway?

Post by Stevegr Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:18 pm

Ah the sway, I totally agree that it's not very realistic.

It makes the whole external sway and that includes the wheels bouncing on and off the rails!

The odd train that's available with what actually is the body and the bogies configured as separate cars have both bogies plus the body swaying separately to each other.

I've always thought that the separate car config for the bogies and body should be avoided because of that.

Stevegr

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to disable boarding sway? Empty Re: Is it possible to disable boarding sway?

Post by Dexter Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:25 pm

@Stevegr: Have you ever heard of the boogie dance? Very Happy  But really, the swaying is a bit too much. :-D
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevegr Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Dexter wrote:@Stevegr: Have you ever heard of the boogie dance? Very Happy  But really, the swaying is a bit too much. :-D

Bogie dance, surely?

Stevegr

Back to top Go down

Post by Dexter Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Stevegr wrote:Bogie dance, surely?

Yes, that's the openBVE version of it. Very Happy
Dexter
Dexter

http://www.brnobve.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by jorgecerezo Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi,

You can change the passenger ratio to 0. When the passenger ratio is 0 there is no boarding sway.

Jorge

jorgecerezo

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:09 am

Have you tried in the station command (within the route file) setting the passenger loadings to 0?
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by zbx1425 Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 am

Maybe that is because some Japanese trains use a special bogie and spring system, which creates a serious loading sway (This system allows the train to tilt about 5 degrees torward each side!). But the shock absorption effect is also awesome. It is very stable and comfortable when the train is running.
There is even news that a passenger fell into the gap between the train and the platform, then the station staff asked all the riders to get off and "push the train to the other side" and finally saved the passenger. It's pretty interesting.
And BVE is a Japanese game, so it certainly simulated it.
zbx1425
zbx1425

https://www.zbx1425.cn

Back to top Go down

Post by Greater Anglia Metro Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Bump!
Greater Anglia Metro
Greater Anglia Metro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down